Monday, February 28, 2011

And the Oscar goes to...

Every year, even before I settled on screenwriting, I have gotten this enormous thrill from watching The Oscars, particularly the awards for best original and adapted screenplay. The Academy always does this effect where they flash parts of the script over footage of the film. It completely wigs me out how easily words translate to a visual story. Its a miracle.

And you know what's also a miracle? In the course of a year and a half my writing has improved drastically. I was searching through my gigantic trove of Word files, looking for something I had written that could apply to the mindset of one of my characters, and I came across an old collection of scenes. They are terrible, just terrible. I use "really" in the dialogue and instead of letting the back story evolve organically I try to get it all out in paragraph of dialogue. Its truly awful. I'm happy to say I've improved imensly.

No comments:

Post a Comment